April 22, 2015

First Birds Banded of the 2015 Spring Season

In between the scattered hail storms and before the high winds kicked up again, I was able to catch a few birds today. Not many, only nine total, but six different species, which is exciting!
Drumroll please.... So, the first bird for the 2015 spring season was a recaptured (banded in a previous year) male Northern Cardinal and the first unbanded bird(s) was actually two male American Robins caught in the same net at the same time. Other highlights included a Brown Creeper and a Brown Thrasher (both pictured below).
The weather doesn't look that great for the next few days but that's okay as I still have a lot of net lane maintenance to do. It looks like it might actually be a decent weekend though and when I have all of the net lanes open and the nets up and running, I will post a schedule so that you all can come down and visit me while we wait for the warbler invasion!
Brown Creeper
Brown Thrasher


2 comments:

Bob Mulvihill said...

Get those net lanes ready, Laura-Marie, because it won't be slow up there for long! I plan t stop by and see the banding on Saturday, May 9, with a group from the National Aviary, so I'm putting in my request now for a great assortment of wood warblers, O.K.? ;)

Presque Isle Bird Banding said...

Sounds good, Bob! I look forward to seeing you (and those warblers I keep hearing so much about!) :)