May 21, 2015

Let's Talk about the Ladies...

We've got some lovely ladies that are passing through Presque Isle State Park right now and I don't just mean our local volunteers! Every spring it seems like most people are very excited to see the male warblers in all their glory and it's true, they do put on their best snazzy outfits for the ladies and hey, who are we kidding, I'm definitely impressed! The males usually move through first so that they can establish territories so that by the time the females migrate to the breeding grounds they basically have their pick of the males. But one thing I have learned from holding a lot of birds in the hand, is that although the females might not always be as flashy and brightly coloured as their male counterparts, they definitely still have a very subtle beauty that I would like to take the time to highlight. 

Adult female Black-throated Blue Warbler. She had some of the most vibrant blue I have yet to see on a female BTBW.
Female Blackburnian Warbler
Female Hooded Warbler
Female Tennessee Warbler
Female Cape May Warbler
Haha you got me- not a warbler! BUT one of my favourite girls out there and I can't get enough of that giant insect vacuum mouth. She's a local nesting Great-crested Flycatcher banded in 2014 and recaptured on 5/21/15.
Female Magnolia Warbler. This pretty lady was actually so petite, that I had to remove the band I originally placed on her because it was too large.
Female Black & White Warbler. One of the best smelling warblers hands down due to the amount of time that they spend in and around tree bark.

No comments: